        From:   Rob Perry, CRM [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   Thursday, September 05, 2002 5:23 AM
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        Re: Using Access for records management database

        I would agree with Stephen's comments about MS-Access except for the
        following.

        "MS-Access will never be a commercial-grade  RM tool, but it sure
        helps you
        prepare for kicking the tires and looking under the hood when you're
        chartered with buying one."

        By commercial grade, I think he could mean two things.  One is that
it
        is not a viable product for managing records.  And to that I would
        have to disagree and his statement could be misunderstood in that
        manner.  The second is that it is not robust enough to handle a
large
        enterprise wide records management system with numerous simultaneous
        users across varied platforms - I would agree with that.

        However, there are numerous applications, such as individual file
        rooms with 100,000+ files, corporate or commercial records centers,
or
        local government records systems that MS-Access is a  great solution
        for.  These do not require a SQL or Oracle database or the expertise
        required to run them.

        Because MS-Access is so easy to get started with, some people only
        learn enough to get by with their current situation and then assume
        MS-Access isn't capable of much more.  But a professional programmer
        can take the same tool and make a very robust software package.  I
        would like to invite anyone who has an interest in seeing the
        capabilities of a records management tool programmed using MS-Access
        to visit our booth in New Orleans.

        Sincerely,

        Rob Perry, CRM
        Waterfall Enterprises, LLC