From: Megan Easto [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 10:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RIM Infrastructure

I'm currently working on a project that involves developing a file plan and
a set of RIM policies for a division within my organization. The project
seems very straightforward, but I've run into a bit of a snag. The client is
insisting that what they really need is "software" that will do the job of
keeping track of their records, rather than an actual file plan. The problem
I'm having is in trying to explain to them that the file plan is a necessary
first step in developing a tracking system - they can't just buy an empty
database and expect it to work without the infrastructure behind it. It
sounds to me like they just want to stick a bar code on each of their files,
without considering where each file fits in relation to the others and to
the big picture.

The question I'm really trying to answer is "Why, exactly, do you need to
have a file plan in place before setting up the software?" The whole thing
seems so obvious to me that I'm having trouble articulating it - perhaps
those of you who have been this route before could help me out. The other
possibility, of course, is that I'm suffering from tunnel vision as well,
and that there's no reason at all that the clients can't do what they are
proposing. All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks very much in advance,
Megan