Tony:

As a former municipal records manager and archivist, I had no problem storing records with a reputable commercial storage vendor.  We stored about 10% of our records in an off-site commercial storage facility about 5-10 miles from the records center.  When needed a courier would deliver records, or the City's records center/archives staff would go to the off-site location to pick up the records.  They offered us a very good rates and services, and I believe they still serve my former employer.  (Jackie/Mike F. are you out there?)

Tod
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wright, Tony
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 8:20 AM
  Subject: Assistance needed

  Greetings,

  I was wondering if anyone on the list knows of any links to on-line
  articles concerning problems/dangers of having local government records
  stored by private individuals. Apparently, it has been brought to my
  attention that an individual who owns a warehouse is interested in
  storing some local government records. This individual believes that
  they can do the task for much less than the local government records
  center. I am assisting some individuals who are proposing that these
  records not be stored with this individual, but in their secure local
  government records center. Any help would be appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Tony Wright
  Archivist
  The City of Kalamazoo, MI