At the 30,000 foot level (or 30,000 year level), there
seems to be a link between topography and measures of
regional unity like linguistic and genetic diversity.
So resident populations in areas that are sparesely
populated or heavily mountainous, or both, show many
more languages & dialects, and more genetic diversity.

L.L. Cavalli-Sforza has written some interesting
things on this, that may be worth checking out. The
_History and Geography of Human Genes_ is the first
one that comes to mind.