Dear All,

I know there's a literature on differences between urban and rural
social networks but I'm interested in what social networkers believe
about spatial effects generally. (I know geographers have some
theories in this area too.)

Specifically, how much difference does spatial dispersion make to
network links? This can be looked at in two ways:

1) Are the social networks of people who live - on average - further
apart (like those in rural areas) different from those who live
further together? How so? (A subsidiary question to this, that I
don't think has been addressed, is: are people in an organisation
more likely to know each other than, say, people in a city block,
seeing this purely as a spatial phenomenon.)

2) What is the spatial distribution for various kinds of network
links: kin, friends, colleagues. I have seen a piece of work by a
social pyschology (Latane/) that asked people to list all contacts in
the last week and their location/type.

Generally, there must be an awful lot of network data files about by
now. How much meta analysis has been done so one could take an
"anonymous" network and say "according to these measures, this is
probably a network from an urban area/rural area/cyberspace/real
organisation".

ATB,

Edmund

Edmund Chattoe: Department of Sociology, University of Oxford, Littlegate
House, St Ebbes, Oxford, OX1 1PS,  tel: 01865-286174,  fax: 01865-286171,
http://www.sociology.ox.ac.uk  Review Editor, J. Artificial Societies
and  Social Simulation (JASSS) http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/JASSS/
"So act as
to treat humanity, whether in your own person or in another, always as an
end, and never as only a means."  (Immanuel Kant, Fundamental Principles)