I sent an earlier email requesting info. on egocentric data. Here is some
additional information. My advisor is Pam Popielarz. Some of my research
questions are the following:

Do networks rich in supportive ties affect transitions into the labor force?
For persons in the low-income labor force, do supportive ties assist them in
keeping their job? Is there a difference across sex? In other words, would
women leaving welfare, entering the labor force for the first time, rely more
on supportive ties (like those that provide them with informal forms of child
care [research suggests that few women use available subsidies, while many
rely on informal care], perhaps informal loans, assistance with transportation
when there's no money for the bus, etc.) then their male counterparts entering
the labor force from unemployment (very small % of males on welfare)?
If supportive ties assist low-income folks in keeping their jobs, is
reciprocity an issue?
If supportive ties help at the beginning of a transition into the labor force
(either from welfare or unemployment), do reciprocity demands reverse this
effect?

These are some of the questions I've been thinking about. I'm still in the
process thinking, reading, and searching. It seems there are a number of
different directions in which the support literature goes (i.e. away from
network analysis), so this process is certainly challenging.

I think egocentric data with lots of questions about labor force participation
& network ties both related to their LFP & daily life is what I'm looking for,
and of course questions about who they give/receive help (types, too) to/from
& how frequently & for how long seems important also.

Thanks.

Robin Shirer
Ph.D. Student, Department of Sociology
University of Illinois at Chicago