Not sure what the nodes are in your networks [people?, teams?, organizations?]
or the links [flow? exchange? infection? influence? investment? co-authorship?]
but the physics community has done quite a bit of work on network
growth/evolution/expansion.

Here are a few starting points...

  http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/organization/annualReport/00/activities/networkdynamics.html
  http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/cond-mat/0005085