Noah Friedkin's work on horizon of observability appears to apply...

  http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/faculty/friedkin/Syllabi/Soc148MA/Friedkin%201983.pdf

Also, Jon Kleinberg's work on search in social networks based on local info...

  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/nat00.pdf

Valdis Krebs
http://www.orgnet.com