Dear Sanne,

It would be worth thinking carefully before deciding between Actor Network
Theory or Social Network Analysis.
If you want a sociologically qualitative approach, then Actor Network Theory
will be your choice (most sociologists would regard SNA as a quantitative
approach).
From a model theory point of view, SNA can be either quantitative or
qualitative depending on the properties of the network being studied.

The best on-line sources of ANT literature are:
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/sociology/antres.html &
http://www.rcss.ed.ac.uk/technology/SST_Bibliography.html (although the
latter is more on the Social Shaping of Technology (SST)).

Given your subject is 'the organisation of the Linux community' I'm not sure
ANT is the best method. If you were looking to study the co-evolution of the
community and it's technology using primarily ethnographic methods, then ANT
would be the tool of choice. For questions of structure I would have thought
SNA more appropriate - especially given the subject area.

Food for thought,

David.

Dr David Shipworth
Faculty of Science
University of Reading, RG6 6AW, UK.
Tel. +44 (0)118 3787177
‘Doubt is not a pleasant condition but certainty is an absurd one.’
(Voltaire)