Well, I am immodestly reminded of the collected works of Barry Wellman &
colleagues:
We don't do urban-rural, just urban, but we do do distance.

See "The Community Question," "Different Strokes from Different Folks" (w
Scot Wortley), "Reach Out and Touch Somebody" (with David Tindall). And
for how the Internet plays on this, see "Capitalzing on the Net" (with
Anabel Quan-Haase), "The Global Villagers" (with Wenhong Chen and Jeffrey
Boase) and "The Not So Global Village of Netville" (with Keith Hampton).

Just about all in prelim form on my website under Publications. The
pre-Internet stuff all published -- see "About Barry" on my site for
details. The Internet stuff available Oct (Euro) and Nov (N. America) in
Wellman & Haythornthwaite, eds., _The Internet in Everyday Life_.
(Blackwells; order your copy now!!;-)

 Barry