For those interested in a summary of texts which deal specifically with
egocentric network data, I have compiled responses from the list:
I am developing a program for egocentered networks that I hope to distribute
(for free) at the network meetings in Cancun.  The program is written in
Java and designed for the collection and output of ego networks into a data
set that is easily analyzed in existing statistical packages.  The program
will eventually include a library of questions that have been used by ego
network researchers, but it will take any questions you want to use.  The
program facilitates the collection of structural data on ego networks and
calculates five structural measures (degree centrality, closeness
centrality, betweenness centrality, number of cliques and number of
components). This is a Beta version and will be used this fall to collect
200 ego networks on respondents who are clinically depressed and those who
are  not.

chris

Chris McCarty, Survey Director
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611-7145
Phone: (352) 392-2908 x101
FAX: (352) 392-4739

MultiNet is very happy with egocentric network data, even though there
are some types of analysis
that it cannot do with this kind of data. A simpler program, FATCAT, was
designed specifically
for egocentric data. You can find it at http://www.sfu.ca/~richards
<http://www.sfu.ca/~richards> .

Bill Richards

About working with ego-centric data, I know only a few references useful on
the subject:
- Müller, C., B. Wellman, and A. Marin. 1999. "How to use SPSS to study
ego-centered networks." Bulletin de méthodologies sociologiques (BMS)
64:63-76.
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/howtousespss/article.html
<http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/howtousespss/article.htm
l>
- Marsden (2002). Notes on Handling Egocentric Data.pdf
http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~soc275/handouts/Notes_on_Handling_Egocen
<http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~soc275/handouts/Notes_on_Handling_Egoce
n>
tric_Data.pdf

There is not much methodological materials dedicated to the analysis of
ego-centered dataset. In fact some of the most useful reference I know about
working with such information are from anthropologists. If you are not
familiar with these references you might want to check them out from your
library. They are worth knowing, especially because they are among the few
and probably some of the best documented analytical works ever done, and
they were done in Africa. They include the studies done by Barnes, Kapferer,
and Wheeldon. Some of it is located in Zimbabwe.

Mitchell, J.C. 1969. "The concept and use of social networks." Pp. 1-50 in
Social networks in urban situations: analyses of personal relationships in
Central African towns, edited by J.C. Mitchell. Manchester,: Published for
the Institute for African Studies, University of Zambia by Manchester U.P.
-. 1969. Social networks in urban situations: analyses of personal
relationships in Central African towns. Manchester,: Published for the
Institute for Social Research University of Zambia by Manchester U.P. -.
1974. "Social Networks." Annual Review of Anthropology 3:279-299.
Boissevain, J.and J.C. Mitchell. 1973. Network analysis: studies in human
interaction. The Hague,: Mouton.

Here are also a few more recent and pretty useful ressources too:

Scott J. Social network analysis : a handbook. 2nd ed. London ; Thousands
Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, 2000.

Trotter RT, 2nd. Friends, relatives, and relevant others: conducting
ethnographic network studies (Chap. 1). In: Schensul JJ, ed. Mapping social
networks, spatial data & hidden populations (The ethnographer's toolkit,
v.4). Walnut Creek, Calif.: AltaMira Press, 1999: 1-50.

James Moody (Ohio State University) has also several very neat PPT
presentations. Some of the datasets are ego-centered.
http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/presentations/index.htm
<http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/presentations/index.htm>
for socnet methods
http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/SocialNetworks.htm
<http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/SocialNetworks.htm>
Adolescent Social Networks (including his dissertation on-line)
http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/adol_soc_net.htm
<http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/adol_soc_net.htm>

Found this link. Looks interesting too. Done by UCINET developers. Note also
that UCINET computes from full network data ego-centered measures.
http://www.analytictech.com/networks/topics.htm
<http://www.analytictech.com/networks/topics.htm>

Sociometrica / LinkAnalyzer can also be an interesting piece of software to
link ego-centered datasets.
>web site address: www.md-logic.com or www.mdlogix.com

Let me know if you get some other interesting resources on the subject.

Patrick Gerland                 Princeton University
Phone: 1 (609) 258-4941 x.2     Office of Population Research
Email: [log in to unmask]   219 Wallace Hall
Fax:   1 (609) 258-1039         Princeton, NJ 08544, U.S.A.
Web:   http://opr.princeton.edu/students/pgerland.html
<http://opr.princeton.edu/students/pgerland.html>

First a general thought:
It would help if folks gave more info about their projects before asking for
help. Both Heather-Lyn and Olga's requests are sparse.

Second, as usual I have (co)written germane stuff on this topic:

Wellman, Barry. 1999. "The Network Community." Pp. 1-48 in Networks in the
Global Village, edited by Barry Wellman. Boulder, CO: Westview. [review
article, not methodological]

Wellman, Barry. 1996. "Are Personal Communities Local? A Dumptarian
Reconsideration." Social Networks 18: 347-354.

Wellman, Barry. 1992. "How to Use SAS to Study Egocentric Networks."
Cultural Anthropology Methods 4 (2): 6-12.

Müller, Christoph, Barry Wellman and Alexandra Marin. 1999. "How to Use SPSS
to Study Ego-Centered Networks." Bulletin de Methode Sociologique 69:
83-100.

Haythornthwaite, Caroline and Barry Wellman. 1996. "Using SAS to Convert
Ego-Centered Networks to Whole Networks." Bulletin de Methode Sociologique
50: 71-84.

Wellman, Barry. 1981. "Applying Network Analysis to the Study of Support."
Pp. 171-200 in Social Networks and Social Support, edited by Benjamin
Gottlieb. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.

Wellman, Barry and Kenneth Frank. 2001. "Network Capital in a Multilevel
World: Getting Support from Personal Communities." Pp. 233-73 in Social
Capital, edited by Nan Lin, Ronald S. Burt and Karen Cook. Hawthorne, NY:
Aldine De Gruyter. [multilevel analysis]

etc.

 Barry  ___________________________________________________________________

<http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman>

Hi Heather-Lyn,
see my article (forthcoming in the next issue of CONNECTIONS):

 <<Connections_230502.zip>>

Best regards,

Volker

Dr. Volker G. Täube
Bundesamt für Statistik (BFS / OFS / UFT)
- Sektion: Hochschulen und Wissenschaft -
Espace de l'Europe 10
CH-2010 Neuchâtel

Tel.: +41 - (0)32 / 713 68 20
Mail to: [log in to unmask]