   Both Tom Lodge, author of the Everglades Handbook, and I were VERY
surprised in the spring of 1975 when Dr. Oscar T. "Bud" Owre, first Maytag
Professor of Ornithology(1969-1983) at the University of Miami asked
us:"Are the naturalists at Shark Valley still telling visitors that the
Anhingas were drying their wings?" We said:"Of course, aren't they?" In
his always simple and precise way he explained that the wing feathers on
an Anhinga dry very quickly while the body feathers, which have a
different composition, take longer to dry causing the bird to need to
replace the heat lost someway. The wings have a network of veins under
them, and being black they act like solar panels to absorb the needed
heat. I do not believe that he ever published these results although Tom
included them in his book. Bud did do an AOU monogragh on locomotion in
Anhingas and cormorants. He also informed us that Anhingas are capable of
flying directly out of the water(not unlike a Polaris missile) if they are
being chased by an alligator. Neither Tom nor I had ever seen this happen,
but Shark Valley naturalists later confirmed that they had.
  We did not discuss Cormorants, and now I wish that we had since Dennis
Paulson later informed me that the situation with the Cormorant is quite
different. He sent me some papers which I read and did not totally
understand(I am a mathematician after all as many of my biologist friends
keep telling me in hope that I will stop bothering them). Alas, I have
forgotten the name of the biologist who wrote them. I will try to locate
the references.
 Dr. Owre died in 1990. I know that Tom Lodge, Bob Parcelles, Dennis
Paulson, Shelia Gaby also still miss him very much. His first Ph.D.
student was Jim Kushlan who worked on White Ibis. Shelia worked on Turkey
Vultures. Dennis did dragonflies and Tom fish(they had different thesis
advisors).
 I hope that  this helps a little.
Bob Kelley
University of Miami