   There is certainly no lack of things to study. I have not seen that
wing spreading in pelicans, but I regularly see our wintering turkey
vultures, especially those that sit on top the Miami-Dade County
Courthouse each winter do so. My guess that the vultures are doing
both(wing drying and thermoregulating).
   We have about 4,000 turkey vultures that winter here in south Florida.
These were the estimates made in 1977 by Shelia Gaby when she was working
on her Ph.D. with Oscar Owre. There is little reason to think that the
numbers have been seriously decreased in recent years.  Yet the local TV
stations and even the Miami Herald regularly report each year that the TVs
have returned from Hinkley, Ohio. They have maybe 150 birds that Shelia
believes winter in Tennessee. We often see that many sailing over the UM
campus each day in winter as they disperse from their roost at the mouth
of the Coral Gables Waterway. It does make the students a bit nervous when
it is around exam time. They should be back in a couple of weeks. The
"downtown" group is always quite noticible since they use the Miami-Dade
Courthouse roof(which is pyramid shaped)as their day roost.
   Shelia wing tagged 250 birds in the late 1970s. My former wife and and
I helped her on Christmas Eve 1977(but that is another story). For years
she got returns from Quebec to southern Indiana but nary a one from
Hinkley, Ohio. Alas her thesis was never published.
   Is the same true for our wintering hummingbirds? They have just arrived
back and will be here until April. My guess would certainly be yes, but I
do not believe that anyone knows the answer to that question yet.
Miami-Dade County very rarely has a hummingbird in summer.
   Studies of bands on injured Pelicans rescued By the Pelican harbor
Seabird Station here in Miami show that they come mostly from the North
Carolina, South Carolina coastal areas. Almost all of them are immature
birds.
   That is more than enough for now(and I do have more).
Bob Kelley
University of Miami
Coral Gables, FL