Floridabirders,

I have also seen this behavior quite a few times in Great Blues and have
taken several photos to document it. The bird usually strikes this pose for
a half hour or more during the period when the sun is the most intense. The
bird generally faces directly at the sun.

I recall reading in some pub. long ago that this is a way for the bird to
remove parisites. The heat created causes the parisites to drop off.  Makes
sense.

I have not seen this behavior with other waders though.

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Fl.