I stayed most of the afternoon at Turkey Creek after the other birders left.
I did see 3 Blackpoll Warblers together on McKinnon's Way, birds were there all
afternoon increasing in number until late all much the same as seen earlier
except for more Northern Parulas.  In the field next to McKinnon's Way I found
a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak whom I watched for much of a half hour memorizing the
markings(no note pad, bad Herman!) Getting back to my truck and my Sibleys I
found I had a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in non-breeding plummage or maybe a
young male(pink on the breast with short streaks,the head was not dark but had
lateral stripes on the throat, a supraloral stripe, and a small crown stripe.
The underwing coverts were pinkish red.  Over all the bird was brown with
streaks.
My  question is... could it be a female?...do the females ever show color on
the breast.
I caught a glimpse of the bird twice yesterday and was uncertain as to what it
was not getting a good look.  Once was in the field near the entrance, and the
other the field near McKinnon's Way.
 --
Herman Bechtel
2859 Fountainhead Blvd