   Thanks Bob. I just received a long message from Dennis Paulson with the
references that I had lost and some new information. I will be forwarding
it to the list. I reread the section in Tom Lodge's Everglades Handbook
that describes what Bud Owre told us in 1975. It is exactly as I
remembered(now if only I could remember my office number).
   We now have resident white ibises on the UM campus. I saw one walking
along one of the concrete walkways near the lake today. The totally ignore
humans when possible. I try to do the same. We also have (un)spotted
sandpiper and (un)pied billed grebes around and on the lake. The Gifford
Arboretum has had lots of oven birds in recent days. The snowy egrets and
green herons have learned to stand on top of the culverts that run under
the road near the Lowe Art Museum and pick off the little fish that are
carried through by the outgoing tide. There was an anhinga there the other
day, but it was not thermoregulating.
   Bob Kelley
   Coral Gables, FL