   Becky Smith, who works at the Historical Museum in downtown Miami,
informed me that our downtown group of wintering TVs have arrived. She
saw them last Monday, 10/14/2002. They use the old Miami-Dade Courthouse
roof as their daily stageing area. Ther are at least a coule of hundred
birds involved. They will be here until April.
   Shelia Gaby informed me recently that during her Ph.D. research at UM
her surveys(taken over several years) indicated that as many as 4,000
birds winter in Miami-Dade County and up to 14,000 in south Florida(the
area from Lake Okeechobee south. Eat your heart out Hinkley, Ohio.
   Before Castellow Hammock was devestated by Hurricane Andrew in 1992
there was a winter roost of 500+ birds there. The hammock has been
restored, but I do not believe that they have returned to CH in those
numbers in recent years.
   We have not been able to cure the local media of their fantasy that our
wintering birds must come from Hinkley, Ohio which has about 150 that spend the summer
there. Simple arithmetic would work if they thought of using it. Shelia
never got a return of sightings of her 250+ wing-tagged TVs
from there,but did have sightings of her tagged birds from Quebec to southern
Indiana.
   Bob Kelley
   Coral Gables, FL
P.S. Capistrano may have their swallows, but the sight of 3000+ TVs
over Bird Key in mid Biscayne Bay some 15 years ago on a Dade County
Christmas Bird Count was something to see. We always see some there since
they use the island as a winter roost, but we have never seen numbers like
that since at that location.