A widespread drenching rain over the Melbourne/Palm Bay area last evening
dumped close to 2 inches at Turkey Creek.  Roy Book and Phyllis Mansfield
arrived, thinking like us, that the bad weather might bring in a few new
birds.  However, migrant numbers and species have not changed much over the
last few days. Migration is basically over at Turkey Creek - now is the time
to start thinking about winter birds.

8 Warbler species:

3 Black-Throated Blue
2 N. Parula
1 Common Yellowthroat
2 Yellow-Throated
3 Amer. Redstart
4 Ovenbird
5 Palm
8 Pine

Also:

1 Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
  Gray Catbird (many)
3 White-Eyed Vireo
3 Painted Bunting (female)
4 Indigo Bunting
5 Hummingbird sp.
4 House Wren
3 E. Phoebe
1 Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
9 BGG
5 Chimney Swift
1 Kestrel
1 Sharp-Shinned Hawk

In our yard today 5 warbler species seen: Palm, N. Parula, 3 B.T. Blue, 1
Redstart, 2 Ovenbird; and 1 Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker.  Our Painted Bunting
flock has been growing slowly over the past 2 weeks.  They are especially
fond of a large clump of Guinea Grass but it's very difficult to see all of
them at the same time.  At present there are 2 males, at least 2 females
(one day there were 4) and one strangely-colored immature male (green except
for a rosy breast) that has been in the yard for about 1 week.

Shirley & Bill Hills
Melbourne Village