Thursday Lapwing 321 came up to Daytona so we had a chance to do a little
birding together.  While out at the Tomoka Landfill we found a juvenile Bald
Eagle that had a totally crossed beak, quite severe.  I have contacted Center
for Birds of Prey regarding the bird.  It seems on the small side but able to
function otherwise.

We then headed to the Lighthouse Point Park at Ponce Inlet where we spotted a
Florida Scrub Jay.  I do not know if anyone has ever reported one down there
before but I certainly have not seen one in the longer than 3 years I have
been down there monitoring birds.  I will check to see if there is a family
possibly colonizing there.  An area very close to where I saw it has been
totally disturbed...all scrub habitat destroyed for new usual new condos so
it may have been around all along but has needed to relocate.

Lastly, I went on to the beach myself later in the afternoon and found an
adult Laughing Gull with light orange legs and bill.  I took a full roll of
film to document it in case there are any skeptics out there.  It was in with
a large flock of other Laughing Gulls...my first thought was that maybe it
was a Black-headed Gull but the back is too dark and the head pattern is not
correct (according to Sibley drawings).  I believe it is an aberration of a
Laughing Gull, or maybe even a cross between a Black-headed and a Laughing.
I know there was a report on the local fall migration count of the presence
of a Black-headed Gull.  I do not know if this is the same gull seen then but
I firmly believe this particular one is NOT a Black-headed Gull.  I will send
photos to Bill Pranty for review when I get the disk and let him make a
definitive ID.

Meret Wilson
Ormond Beach, FL