Just last week I heard a commotion and observed a Hairy and a Downy fighting
in the tree next to my house.  I have been so busy I didn't get a chance to
post it.  The Downy lives here.  The Hairy was probably just passing, as you
say Noel, and got in the Downy's way.  I found a Hairy out in Tiger Bay
Forest area last week as well.  My guess is we will see odd things in odd
places because of habitat disturbance: Like the Scrub Jay Lapwing321 and I
found on Thursday.

Meret Wilson
Ormond Beach