Fellow Birders:
A nice review of the new National Geographic Field Guide was provided, thanks
to Barbara Passmore. It is relavent to me and others of like habits, because
I have many of the specialty guides, and I often leave my Sibleys in the car
as a referance. I do carry an old and dog-eared National Geo in the field. I
used to carry Peterson's. And have several of the Peterson's series, but for
my own reasons, I prefer the National Geo Guide.

Just a little aside, of little relavance, I have observed a Glaucus Gull at a
Polar Bear kill site (not very far from shore), in what was technically
winter (certainly by weather standards), in Hudson Bay, (you have to read the
review). I am sure it is not common. You are more likely to see an Arctic Fox
following the bears onto the pack-ice. There are some productive, and open
leeds in the winter, in the N Bay, with a suprising amount of food. I have
never been out in the Hudson Bay in mid-winter, so I do not know what fauna
is out there, beyond bears, fox and seals, but would not be suprized if an
occasional gull shows up.
Matt Reid
Coral Springs, FL