We thought it appropriate on this last day of October to see what was
happening at Turkey Creek.  What happened was the bigtime arrival of
Yellow-Rumped Warblers. A week ago one or two, today we heard small numbers
flying by overhead all morning long (we did not count the flyovers in our
list).  At approx. 11AM we found a large flock of Yellow-Rumps in the
Hackberries.  With some effort we saw a few other migrants.

10 Warbler species:

50 Yellow-Rumped
 8 Pine
 7 Palm
 5 Yellow-Throated
 2 Amer. Redstart (male & female)
 3 Common Yellowthroat
 1 Black-Throated Blue (female)
 3 Ovenbird
 1 Tennessee
 2 N. Parula

Also:  2-Indigo Bunting, 2-Painted Bunting (female), 2-Phoebe, 1-Swainson's
Thrush, 20-Catbird, 3-White-Eyed Vireo, 2-Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, 10-BGG,
1-Sharp-Shinned Hawk, 1 Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, 3-House Wren

Much more interesting than Turkey Creek was our yard this afternoon. About
2PM I noticed birds flying back & forth across the yard, others diving into
the shrubbery.  Watching from the window for awhile I saw the following: 2
Indigo Buntings (one bathing in the birdbath with a male Scarlet Tanager and
female Cardinal), perched overhead a female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, several
Palm Warblers and a Catbird were foraging on the lawn, 2 BGG's, Black &
White Warbler, male & female Painted Bunting and several Hummingbirds.
Finally walking out to the yard I spotted a Hermit Thrush on the ground -
can this be the same Hermit Thrush that spent all last winter in our yard -
time will tell.

Shirley & Bill Hills
Melbourne Village