All the migrant activity we had yesterday at Turkey Creek was over by this
morning - just about everything took off during the night.  It was dead,
tough to find any bird.  We met Herman Bechtel on the trail and birded
together the rest of the morning;  Phyllis Mansfield arrived at 11AM.
We had time this morning to take another look at an unusual singing Ovenbird
with a song we have never heard before.  It has been singing daily for at
least 2 weeks in the same area.  It was singing from a perch at eye level,
its throat pulsating, so there is no question about the identity of the
singer.  Those who have heard the bird say it's a Prairie.  The song is
similar but the upward warble is punctuated by a little blip partway through
the song.  No other Ovenbird at Turkey Creek has ever used this song.

7 Warbler species:

1 Black-Throated Blue male (by Phyllis)
2 Common Yellowthroat
2 Prairie
2 Palm
3 Black & White
5 Yellow-Throated
5 Ovenbird

Also:

1 House Wren (our 1st of the season)
1 Yellow-Throated Vireo
2 White-Eyed Vireo
2 Swainson's Thrush
2 Veery (side-by-side, eating Beautyberries)
1 Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
2 Sharp-Shinned Hawk
2 Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
1 Summer Tanager (female)
3 Painted Bunting
8 Gray Catbird
9 BGG

Of all the 11 warbler species seen in our yard yesterday, all that remained
today was one male Amer. Redstart.

Shirley & Bill Hills
Melbourne Village