[log in to unmask] writes:

>I have not seen that
>wing spreading in pelicans, but I regularly see our wintering turkey
>vultures,

I have seen some of the pelicans around the port, sitting on the pilings with
their wings spread on occasion.

On the Cape Canaveral AFS (where I'm out and about the most) I see the black
and turkey vultures on the power poles sitting with their wings spread,
facing the sun--usually esposing the underside of the wing. I have heard that
(another) possible reason for this is to help get rid of pests--mites and the
like.

Has anyone ever seen the strange site that a great blue heron makes when it
is standing with its wing "akimbo" facing toward the sun?? So what would a
GBH be doing?

Sarah Linney
Cocoa, FL