Hi all,

Went down to Saint Marks NWR early this afternoon. The place was infested
with Palm Warblers. Hundreds of Palm Warblers! I had noticed this morning at
home that we were "under invasion" by the critters, but I didn't expect such
a large number...some were pulling the "cardinal act", i.e., trying to see
just how closely they could fly out in front of cars. Obviously, some didn't
make it, and we watched a Boat-tailed Grackle making a meal out of a
roadkilled PAWA.

Also had a few Yellow Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Swainson's and
Gray-cheeked Thrush, and a possible Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Also saw the
"dalmation" (partial albino) grackle.

The most surprising sighting was actually a non-sighting: down at the
lighthouse, NO terns and NO shorebirds! Only 8 Laughing Gulls. Otherwise
nada, zippo, zilch, until we were just about to leave and a solitary
Pectoral Sandpiper zipped by overhead, heading west and not even slowing
down. That was it! Reckon the front blew 'em all out last night...

Finally, this morning a small flock (about 6) of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
decended on our sunflower feeder. With that, and the lifer Gray-cheeked
Thrush, my year list now stands at 255. 254 of which have been seen between
the Apalachicola and Suwannee Rivers! (The sole exception is Merlin.)

-S.P.McCool
Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
"Walk softly, and carry a big scope"

---