Hi all,

The Slaty-backed Gull made it easy Friday morning in Key West, posing at
distances as short as ten feet for many folks who were in the Keys to attend
the FOS meeting in Marathon. The bird was at Higgs beach by 7:45 AM. It hung
around all morning, cutting out later in the day. On Saturday, the bird did
not make an appearance until the afternoon. I have no idea about Sunday's
luck with the birds.
Others will make detailed reports, but there were plenty of migrants in the
Keys, lots of raptor activity at the Curry Hammock Hawk Watch. Sunday's
pelagic off Islamorada had many Brown Boobies, two Pomarine Jaegers, two
Bridled Terns, and incredible looks at a Red-necked Phalarope that feed in
Sargasso right next to the boat. We watched many raptors offshore heading for
Cuba - actually I saw almost as many as I saw at the Hawk Watch the previous
day.

Dave Goodwin
St. Petersburg, FL
"Quick Hoatzin, the game's afoot!"