Fellow Birders:
Yesterday I was hemming and hawing over whether or not to spend my day-off
down at Curry Hammock watching hawks or hunting warblers before their
migration begins to slow. Before I went to bed last night I decided if I got
up at 4am I would drive down for hawks. If I got up at 6am I would make a
Florida personal warbler big day. At 4am I rolled over. At 6:30am I was out
the door on my way to Spanish River Park.
       When I was a young birder I lived near the Potomac River Bottomlands
of Maryland. Twenty plus warbler species days were the norm during the peak
of a migration. It was one of the rights of spring. But twenty eight years in
the Rockies, and I would work hard to get ten warblers in a day, traveling
over huge landscapes, with many distinct habitats. Needless to say there were
lots of other great birds to focus on.
       Three years ago I moved to Florida, hopeful that I could get back into
the groove with warblers. But the best warbler terrain whithin the arbitrary
birding area that I call my home territory might yield 13 warblers on a good
day; and for me, my best day was17 in S Florida. So, just for the sheer
enjoyment of getting a great day of birding in,  I made a goal of trying for
a twenty warbler species day, and I had to get it within my entire
traditional birding haunt (roughly N of 595 in Broward County and S of
Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach, Palm Beach County; from the coast to the
Glade lands).
       With a cup of coffee, I started birding at 7:15am and ended with a
bottle of water at 5:10pm. I ended the day listing 21 species of warbler. It
was fun and the personal feeling is "satisfiaction". The results:

Spanish River Park:

Black-throated Blue (common)
American Redstart (common)
Yellow-throated (5)
Common Yellowthroat (common)
Magnolia (2)
Cape May (6)
Prairie (2)
Worm-eating (3)
Northern Waterthrush (1)
Ovenbird (common)
Hooded (2)
Wilson's (1)* was fortunate to have Rob Stone, a good birder, see it
                         also.
Black and White (1)
Northern Parula (2)
Palm (1)*adjacent to SRP

It was cooler this morning and new birds had moved in since Saturday. Having
a 15 warbler start to the day made my goal seem achievable.

Loxahatchee:

Tennesee (2)
Yellow (1)

Lox Road:

Nashville (1)

Doris Foreman Park (Broward County in Parkland):

Chestnut-sided (3)
Pine (1)

Trade Winds Park (Broward County, Coconut Cr.):

Blackburnian (1)*this guy is late, but not past anything in the book, The
                        Birdlife of Florida.

My best Florida Day for Warblers!

Other migrants (just a list):

Summer Tanager
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Gray Kingbird
Barn Swallow
Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Raptors:

Kestrels (16)
Merlin (2)
Northern Harrier (2)
Coopers Hawk (4)
Sharp-shinned (2)
Red-tailed Hawk (2)
Snail Kite (2)
Red-shouldered (6)

Uncommon Locals:

Spot-breasted Oriole (1)
Limpkin (1)

And most of the other local birds.

A really nice day as the warbler migration gets past the peak.

Good Birding,
Matt Reid
Coral Springs, Florida