Fellow Birders:
Florida coolness is ideal for birding and that is just what I did at
Loxahatchee, as the Fall migration begins to dwindle. But even dwindling was
good today, as I put in a long afternoon and early evning counting species. I
worked the main refuge and the canal to the South and East. The songbirding
was above average, there was no shorebirding, the waders and some waterfowl
were all about, and raptors were still on the move. For those who use the
list for rare bird alerts skip this report, unless you are interested in
Florida specialties, of which I got three today. But if you are looking for a
good place to bird, and you have about six hours to spare, the Loxahatchee is
not bad right now. Eighty five species today. As I was heading back,
following the impoundment trail, a bright descending sun lit up the
landscape. I stopped to watch a brilliant Painted Bunting male, at a distance
of ten feet. It occurred to me that birding is special, and I am lucky, for I
never tire of the intimate portraits that the natural world reveals if you
take the time to get out into it:

Warblers:
Black-throated Blue (2)
Common Yellowthroat (abundant)
Northern Parula (2)
Yellow-throated (1)
American Redstart (1)
Tennesee (1)
Ovenbird (3)
Orange-crowned (1)
Magnolia (1)
Palm (abundant)
Prairie (abundant)
Pine (5)
Black and White (1)
Yellow-rumped (1)

Other Migrants:
Catbird (abundant)
White-eyed Vireo (2)
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Red-eyed Vireo (1)
Swainson's Thrush (2, was expecting this after all of the thrush memo's)
Belted Kinfisher (common)
Painted Bunting (3)
Indigo Bunting (2)
Scarlet Tanager (1)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)
Empid Sp. (1)

Specialties:
Snail Kite (2)
Smooth-billed Ani (4)
Limpkin (3)

Raptors:
Osprey (6)
Red-shouldered Hawk (4)
Coopers Hawk (1)
Kestrel (2)
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Northern Harrier (1)
Turkey Vulture (several hundred, a few local, most migrants)
Black Vulture (30)

Waders/waterfowl/lone shorebird:
Kildeer (1)
Mottled Duck (4)