Gail Menk, Dottie and I found the Lapland Longspur at SRSTF at 9 a.m. this
morning (Sunday, 10-20) in the same location where seen by others - in the
grass just a few feet east of the large easternmost pond near the middle of
the east side of the pond.  We observed the bird for 15 or 20 minutes at
close range in good light.  (Forgot to take my camera!)  According to all the
field guides that I have, it appears to be a female in fall/winter plumage.
All the diagnostic field marks were observed - the streaks on the flanks and
some markings on the breast were very faint but discernible.  At one point, I
got within 6 to 8 feet of the bird!  The last time we flushed it, it
vocalized with a 2 or 3 note call repeated three or four times.

Keith MacVicar
Tallahassee  FL