Brad Bergstrom way back in 1999 took some beautiful photos of the then
Stripe-headed Tanager.  Since then the complex has been split and now this
bird has the name of Western Spindalis.  Grieve though we may about the loss
of the name, the bird is the same and is a necessary part of any Florida
bird photo page (whoa, this one is copyrighted and don't use it without
Brad's permission).

I am particularly nostalgic about this bird as it was the subject of the
first good discussion that came along after I started this list (thanks to
Phil Davis who posted the 11th message to this list about this bird).  For
those of you who were not here in July 2000, you may want to check the
messages in the archives.

This photo and two others  appear on our Members Photos page. Since the
bottom banner does not appear apparently on my posts sending photos, the URL
is
http://bkpass.tripod.com/floridabirds.htm

--
Barbara Passmore