Fellow Birders:
Coming back from a long distance road trip this eve. Travelling with Tim
Lynagh. Observed 15 Bald Eagles between South Bay and approximately 5 miles
west, along Highway 27 at Lake Okeechobee. These were counted casually, while
driving by, in the Melaleuca snags (I think this species of tree). We stopped
near S Bay to observe a pair of beautiful adult eagles and a nearby immature
bird. We walked up on the impoundment and saw a nice adult Perigrine Falcon.
Whithin a 5 mile radius we also observed 11 Osprey, 3 Perigrine, 6 Northern
Harrier and 2 Red Shouldered Hawks. There was an abundance of waterfowl and
waders around, but there may also have been something happening with the
Lake's fish life, because the Osprey were present. Maybe someone out there
knows something about this particular area and the time of the year that I do
not know (since I am relatively new to the area). We did not stay long enough
to investigate.
       Over the past several days we got some good birding in Wisconsin and
Georgia between business.

Matt Reid
Coral Springs, Fl