We did see six Whoopers on Sunday morning the the location Wes describes
(reprinted below).  The birds were feeding in the front of the ranch but
back towards the buildings in two different groups.  There were also at
least 15 Sandhills in the same part of the ranch.

Driving south on Canoe Creek Road we must have seen 30 -40 Sandhills in
various groupings north of Joe Overstreet Rd.  We also saw about 30
Turkeys, again in different flocks feeding in the fields on both sides
of the road, sometimes in the same fields as the Sandhills, sometimes
not.   Some of the turkeys were way far back from the road, but some
were close enough to permit good looks.

We probably saw six Bald Eagles in the course of the entire morning.
One on Joe Overstreet, two at the Fish Camp, two immatures in Three
Lakes WMA, and at least one more near Lake Jackson.

It was a great morning of shun-piking and much more fun than driving the
turnpike.
best,
Linda Most
West Palm Beach

          The information that Rocky & Col. Taylor submitted is
absolutely
          correct, but I think that I can fine tune it a little for you.
          The single most reliable spot to see Whoopers is the Double
          C Bar Ranch. Coming from the South, if I were you I would
          take The Florida Turnpike to the Yeehaw Junction exit. You'll
          find yourself at SR 60, go right (west), a few hundred yards
          US 441, turn right & go north ABOUT 13 miles to where SR 523
          Canoe Creek Rd. comes in from the left. Turn there & go ABOUT
          14 miles to Joe Overstreet Rd. which comes in on the left.
          Go past Joe Overstreet about a mile or so until you're
directly
          across from the first set of buildings that you see off to the
          left. You'll pass a new dirt road going off to the left to the
          ranch before you're across from the buildings. Park on the
side
          SR 523 next to the old gated off dirt road that goes off
directly
          to the ranch. Over the past several years I've seen the birds
          from this spot at least 50 times & missed seeing them there 3
or
          4 times. And even when I've missed them there in the AM I
usually
          see them there later in the day.

          For those of you who would be coming from the North: In the
town
          of St. Cloud the main East-West drag is US 192/441, also know
as
          Irlo Bronson Highway slightly to the West, & 13th. St. in
town.
          Most of the North-South streets that intersect 192/441 in the
          downtown area are named after US states. State Road 523 is
also
          know as Vermont Ave. where the two intersect. Go South on SR
523/
          Vermont Ave. After you pass through much of the residential
area
          the road name changes to Canoe Creek Rd. The Double C Bar is
          ABOUT 18 miles South of town on the right (west), side of the
road
          as you go south. Good luck.

          As an aside, Irlo Bronson Hway. was named after Irlo
Overstreet
          Bronson who was one of the great men to come from Osceola Co.
          The Bronson & Overstreet families are two of the oldest, best
          known & most respected names in Central Florida, and have been
          well known to those of us in the FL conservation &
ornithological
          communities for many decades.

          Stop by & see me at the assembly. I'll be in the lobby area
most
          of the time.

         Wes Biggs
         Florida Nature Tours, Orlando  407/363-1360  [log in to unmask]
         http://www.floridanaturetours.com   ABA sponsored

        For archives:
http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/floridabirds-l.html
        Set nomail: Click:  [log in to unmask] Set floridabirds-l
nomail
        Listowner: Click:  [log in to unmask]