if the model were { O(i) * O(j) } / O

you would have the beginnings of the classic model for independence (seen
in the chi-square test and the loglinear model for independence).
departures from independence can also be modeled in the loglinear
framework.  networkers often these models for local (egocentric) data
analysis.

pairing based on attributes is a traditional network interest, but with
this type of influence the dyads remain independent.  in that sense, it is
not like most network modeling.

best,
Martina

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Carl Nordlund wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> When studying the 'World City Network', Peter Taylor has specified a
> technique for obtaining structural data which is based on actor attributes
> (Research bulletin 23, GaWC, also published in Geographical Analysis 33(2),
> 2001). He uses a formula like this one:
>
> C(i,j) = O(i) * O(j)
>
> ...where C(i,j) is the total connectivity between actor i and j and where
> O(i) and O(j) are total number of TNC offices of actor i respectively j.
>
> In short, what is done here is an estimation of the structural value between
> dyads based on internal attributes of the actors. If city i has 2 offices
> and city j has 3 offices, the structural connectivity value between i and j
> is set to 6, thus implying the total number of links between these two
> actors.
>
> Is this a common way of fetching structural data, i.e to use actor
> attributes like this? Intuitively, what regards Taylor's study, it feels
> like a reasonable good approximation of the structural data but when it is
> only based on actor-internal attributes, I also get the feeling that it
> isn't following a very 'networkish' style!
>
> Yours,
> Carl
> -----
> Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
> carl.nordlund(at)humecol.lu.se
> Human Ecology Division
> www.humecol.lu.se

 Blumstein-Jordan Professor of Sociology and Statistics
 Department of Sociology
 Box 353340
 University of Washington
 Seattle, WA 98195-3340