Geographers (and George Barnett) have been doing this sort of stuff for
years. Jim Simmons, now retired from Toronto Geography, did intercity
phone calls 25 years ago; Johan Galtung (ok, not a geog) did intercity
airline flights also a while back; George has been playing with a lot of
connectivity data.

There's also a huge city centrality lit.

I haven't tracked the lit, so don't ask me, but I am sure that it exists
and should be checked before people charge off to do new stuff.

And I would be interested in the question of does distance matter in
Internet contact? As compared to Phone and F2F?

My highly scientific (;-)) study of 12 Berkely grad students in 24 hours
use of the net showed that 57% of their emails were within Berkeley. Many
of the rest were from their hometowns (carrying the neighborhood with
them).

 Barry