Dear Doug, Dear Sean,

Thank you for starting this interesting discussion. I would like to add to
the list a book about working groups in organizations:

Holly Arow, Joseph E. McGrath & Jennifer L. Berdahl (2000) Small groups as
complex systems. Formation, Coordination Development, and Adaption.
Thousands Oaks, London, New Delhi: Sage Publications (ISBN 0-8039-7230-X)

The book includes a critical review of the field of small group research,
and introduces the coordination network. A coordination network includes the
coordination networks of a working group, i.e., the networks of all ties
between members, tasks, and tools. As I interprete it, this network includes
not only the social (member) network, but also two other one-mode networks
(the tasks network and the tools network), and three two-mode networks
(task-member, task-tools, member-tools). According to Arrow et al. external
and global dynamics necessitate the group to adapt the coordination network.

I used these ideas for formulating a theory on (collective) performance of
activist groups. I tried to predict failure of the group from the structure
of the entire coordination network (which means that even as the social
network seems to be 'ideal', the group might fail because one or more of the
other five networks harbours problems). Because it could be expected from
social movement theory that the performance of activist groups depends
considerably on adaptation to external and global dynamics, I directed my
study to the effects of incomplete adaptation of the coordination networks
on failure. The idea is very simple: external and global dynamics often
brings about units (members, tasks or resources) exiting or popping up,
which imbalances the coordination network, urging groups to adapt. Because
this seems so logical to do, and many scientific fields intersect here, I
now feel as if I have somehow reinvented the wheel. Therefore, I am glad
that you brought up the subject, and I'm eager to read all literature that
comes up.

Chris Baerveldt