***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ ***** For those interested in discussions of the uses/perceptions/manipulations,,,, of knowledge, science and technologies of science, here is a conference announcement. G Hougham ************************************************************* Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:32:17 +0100 (BST) From: Alberto Corsin-jimenez <<[log in to unmask]> Title: Aw(e)ful and Fearful Knowledge: Ethnographic Responses to the Industries, Machineries and Technologies of Science - Panel to be held at the Association of Social Anthropologists Decennial Conference, 14-18 July 2003, Manchester Deadline for submission of abstracts: 15 November 2002 Description: This panel aims at exploring the extent to which science can be understood as a field of awful and fearful knowledge. The session will present fresh ethnographies of the rationales that are being mobilised in response to, and engagement with, specific deployments of scientific knowledge, and will reflect on the dispersal and distribution of these knowledge-forms as instrumental and utilitarian minutiae and transformative capacities. In particular, we wish to examine how science becomes mundane, how is it transformed into concrete experiential and social encounters with specific industries, machineries and technologies of scientific knowledge. We are intrigued by the fears and dreads that lurk behind people’s ideas about the ‘rational’; the notions about power, authority and malevolence (and benevolence) that animate their responses to what they think of as ‘science’ and ‘scientific knowledge’. Our interest lies in exploring further the forms that these responses take and, in particular, the transformations in agency that they effect. We are not so much interested in the power-structures that impose fear as in the transformations that the fear of knowledge (and the knowledge of fear) effect upon the agent and his moral world; that is, what value-maps (positive and negative) does the agent draw upon confronting the awe of science. What, for instance, does people’s eventual accommodation to the machineries of war in extreme conflict situations (tanks, helicopters, gunfire) tell us about the scales of awe and fear that are in-built into the machinery (and its operators)? What capacities for surveillance and control are being recognised in our encounters with government databases and information interfaces? What is dangerous about cloning? Is the reverence for scientific knowledge an eclipsed and tacit acknowledgement of fear, a muted recognition of man’s capacity for evil making? How, in sum, are the connections between awe and our fear of science and scientific knowledge worked out in specific ethnographic situations? And finally, what role does science play in shaping and redefining our field of moral relations? When and how does our awe of science become repugnant and despicable, knowledge of the awful? Contact: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] URL: www.octagon-pictures.demon.co.uk/nomadit/asa/panels/corsin%20jimenez.htm H-Net Announcement ID: 131344 _____________________________________________________________________ SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social network researchers (http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/). To unsubscribe, send an email message to [log in to unmask] containing the line UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.