All,
The classic Korean Family Planning study by Rogers and Kincaid was accompanied by
considerable work done by scholars at Seoul School of Public Health.  One study was carried
out be See Baik Lee (I may have the spelling wrong as I don't have the study handy) on how
many steps information about contraception could be transmitted.  If I recall, he reported 2
steps after which there was complete information decay.  He published his work in his
doctoral thesis "Lee, S. B. (1977) System effects on family planning innovativeness in
Korean villages.  Unpublished doctoral thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI."

- Tom

> > *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
> >
> > Dear SocNet-ers,
> >
> > I have a question. I'm trying to think of a network of contacts that is
> > not an actual information exchange network in terms of a such. But I'm
> > afraid that I'll have a lot of noise. By noise I mean that when A gets
> > information from B and B gets information from C (A and C are not
> > connected), the information A gets from C (through B) will not be
> > correct. Think for example of gossip. Someone cuts his finger and after
> > a couple of steps the story will be that he cut off his hand - this is
> > what I mean by noise.
> >
> > Does anyone know about some research on noise in the information
> > exchange network? Maybe it's called differently, as I couldn't get
> > anything under this search (I got some information exchange network
> > concerning noise, noise emitters and stuff like that).
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Marko Pahor

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:    My personal webpage:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html  http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

Thomas W. Valente, PhD
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/medicine/preventive_med/ipr/mph/
Department of  Preventive Medicine