Carl

We use attribute data that is at a very detailed knowledge level to
predict the propensity for interaction under both homophilly and
expertise based rationals for interaction.  Moreover, we have been able
to use this informtion to predict change in the network over time.
  There is evidence from cognitive psychology that in fact such
knowledge mediated data is at the basis of social interaction.

Note - gross level attributes and very generic categories of knowledge
are usually insufficient to predict the structure.  You really need a
finer grain of detail.

see these papers:

Carley K. (1992). A Theory of Group Stability. American Sociological Review.

Carley, K. (1990). "Group Stability: A Socio-Cognitive Approach." In
Advances in Group Processes. edited by E. Lawler, B. Markovsky, C.
Ridgeway and H. Walker, Vol. 7, p. 1-44. Greenwich, CT: JAI.

Kathleen M. Carley & David Krackhardt, 1996, "Cognitive inconsistencies
and non-symmetric friendship." Social Networks , 18: 1-27.

Kathleen Carley