The issue of actor attributes and network structure is the question of one of my current research papers.  I am examining the structure of a network of public school administrators and, based on the graphical mapping, it looks clear that the structure is affected by gender, administrator's experience and the type of administrative position.

However, I only have n=36 administrators.  At the dyadic level of the ties, I have a large enough set of cases to import network data to SPSS and use dyadic variables in correlations, etc.  However, at the actor level, what types of tests can I run to determine if there are group differences?  I've run t-test for gender and ANOVA for type of school (e.g. elementary, middle, high school) on  actor centrality or other positional variables as well as characteristics of their egocentric networks.  However, it occurs to me that the small n might a problem.  If so, what small group statistics would work best for this population data to support the finding of group differences?  Are there any network specific tests (in UCINet) that can address this question?

I'd appreciate any direction.
Julie

Julie M. Hite
Brigham Young University
Dept. of Educational Leadership & Foundations
Provo, UT  84602
801-422-5039