From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Valdis
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: noise in IEN

Interesting question...

I remember discussing this in my Org Comm classes [Prof. Vince Farace].  For
human networks the numbers 50% through 80% were used -- for every
re-transmission of a message only 50-80% of the original content is
retained.
Of course one re-transmission may retain 90% while the next one may retain
only
20% depending on the particular node/link in the path.

For A-->B-->C-->D ...
at 80%: D only gets about 1/2 of the original content
at 50%: D only gets 1/8 of the original content!

And what about multiple paths from A to D that distort the original message
differently?

Makes 6 degree of separation quite a large world, eh?

Valdis

P.S. With computers/routers as nodes this is usually not a problem -- most
of
the transmission protocols have built-in error checking that makes sure what
is
being received is what was originally sent.