FYI, the spammer did not send the message using the listserv.  I received it on an email account that was not currenlty subscribed to SOCNET, but from which I had previously posted to SOCNET.   Presumably current subscribers who have never posted to SOCNET did not receive the message.  Email headers show the message originating at http://planet.nl .  Discussion on
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=planet.nl+group:news.admin.net-abuse.email is not encouraging.

With stories like http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1365118 achieving high syndication via http://daypop.com , some amateur probably finds it funny to use SOCNET hubs as virus broadcast sources.  They'll stop when they realize how clearly this brands them as an amateur ("Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - J.N.)

Rich
--
http://b8d.net