Thank you to all who responded to my question on resources for longitudinal
analysis of ego centered netowrk data.  I have compiled a list of the
helpful to me, so THANKS!

Patty

______________________

Patty
  look at Dean behrens thesis - he looks at the ego-networks time1-2 of
people who test pos/neg for hiv

Hi Patricia,

Would you be interested in a program I have developed for egocentric network
data collection and analysis?  It's a beta version with some problems, but
it seems to be collecting the data correctly.  You may find it useful.  If
you're interested I'll send you the files and a little description of how to
set up a study (the description is nothing fancy).  Let me know.

Chris

Patty,
Here are 2 studies that use longitudinal egocentric data, one in a
traditional
framework the other a cross sectional time series using GEE. - Tom

Valente, T. W., & Saba, W. (2001). Campaign recognition and interpersonal
communication as factors in contraceptive use in Bolivia. Journal of Health
Communication. 6(4), 1-20.

Valente, T. W., & Vlahov, D.  (2001).  Selective risk taking among needle
exchange participants in Baltimore: Implications for supplemental
interventions.  American Journal of Public Health, 91, 406-411.

Dear Patty,

You might also be interested in
Marijtje A.J. van Duijn , Jooske T. van Busschbach,
Tom A.B. Snijders.
Multilevel analysis of personal networks as dependent
variables.
Social Networks 21, 1999, 187?209.

I send this message only to you, not to the list, assuming that
you will send a compilaion of the answers to the list.

Best,

Tom

Dear Patty,

we have ego-centric network data available from five observations among
older
people (aged 55-85 at T1) spanning 10 year (1992-2003).
Data description is at
http://ssg.scw.vu.nl/lasa/lasa_variables_network.html;
publications are at http://ssg.scw.vu.nl/lasa/lasa_overview_pages.html.
Among these:
van Tilburg, T.G. (1998). Losing and gaining in old age: Changes in
personal
network size and social support in a four-year longitudinal study. Journal
of
Gerontology, 53B, S313-S323.
Van Tilburg, T.G., & Broese van Groenou, M.I. (2002). Network and health
changes among older Dutch adults. Journal of Social Issues, 58, 697-713.

Best wishes,

Theo van Tilburg

Hi Patricia,

I wrote my dissertation on a measurement procedure for social capital. In
the empirical part I used the data of the Newcomb fraternity (17 actors over
15 weeks).
In case you speak German, here's the reference:

Tšube, Volker G. 2002. Zur Messung des Sozialkapitals von Akteuren mit
Einfluss in empirischen Netzwerken; Bern / Frankfurt a.M.:      Peter Lang
Verlag.

A summary of this work in english can be found in the forthcoming issue of
CONNECTIONS (see also attachment).
At the moment I am working on an application of the measurement procedure to
a bigger panel data set (about 200 persons). I will present first results on
the next SUNBELT conference.
Hope you can do something with it!

Best regards,

Volker

Dear Patty,

I may have a couple of suggestions for you. I'm a Ph.D in the measurement
of
individual social capital in the Netherlands, so I'm not directly involved
in
doing longitudinal END studies myself. But there's two Dutch researchers
that
immediately come to mind in answer to your question.

Jooske van Busschbach studied the changes in egocentric networks after
certain
life events (pensioning, and divorce) in her 1996 dissertation Out of
Sight,
Out of Mind? Stability and Change in Personal Relationships; Uit het oog
uit
het hart? Stabiliteit en verandering in persoonlijke relaties. It's in
Dutch
though and I'm not sure whether she published this somewhere else, so if
you
can't find it anywhere I could send you a photo copy of the English summary
if
you like. One study I know of her is (1999) Multilevel Analysis of Personal
Networks as Dependent Variables; Van-Duijn,-Marijtje-A.-J.; Van-Busschbach,-
Jooske-T.; Snijders,-Tom-A.-B. in Social-Networks.

Beate Volker studied the effects of a changing political system on
egocentric
networks in her dissertation 'Should auld acquaintance be forgot' (1995),
which
is in English. An article of her that might help you is Getting Ahead in
the
GDR: Social Capital and Status Attainment under Communism,      Volker,-Beate;
Flap,-Henk. Acta-Sociologica 1999.

I hope this helps you!

cheers,

 I am a graduate student at the University of North Carolina and am