I have visited the Viera Wetlands a couple of times over the past week. Not to
much of note except for the abundance of raptors.  Yesterday 11-5-2002, I had
some excellent looks at a young Northern Harrier as it ate a snake on the
ground and a Red-shouldered Hawk that lacked a patch on its left shoulder. A
week ago I had some excellent looks at a Bald Eagle who seems to be getting
used to the occaisonal traffic and allowed close views. I saw a Merlin, Red-
tailed Hawk, numerous Kestrels, Red-shouldered Hawks both times. And of course
the Crested Caracaras were present a week ago but strangely absent yesterday.
Only three types of ducks present as of yesterday, Mottled,Blue-winged Teal,
and Ring-necked Ducks. The North Ponds had very little activity someone had
mentioned a Wilson's Phalarope but I could not find it, only Greater and Lesser
Yellowlegs. Out in the sod fields next to the north Ponds were a fair number of
Sandhill Cranes, I counted 18
Some other birds were:
Savannah Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow