At 7 this morning Al and I heard a Hermit Thrush singing in the Croom Tract
of the Withlacoochee State Forest in Hernando County. We listened to this
beautiful song intermittently for half an hour, finally getting a great
scope sighting of him singing for several minutes. It's not uncommon for
newly arrived winter residents to sing their songs from the breeding
territory occasionally, but this is the first time we had heard the Hermit
Thrush singing in Florida.

I don't recommend that anyone search for this bird, since the forest will
be crowded with hunters tomorrow morning on the first day of general gun
hunting. But you may be able to locate another singing Hermit Thrush if you
can find appropriate habitat in the early morning.

Good birding,

Bev Hansen
Spring Hill, Florida