Previously posted on Saturday, November 2, 2002 by Paul Bithorn

>A coiled Pygmy Diamondback Rattlesnake was seen basking in the sun along
>the trail

My humblest apology to herpetologists, et al. for my accidental
hybridization of a Pygmy Rattlesnake with a Diamondback Rattlesnake. The
species account should have read Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus
milairus), a snake of the wet prairies and moist woodlands throughout
Florida. Much of the literature lists the species as Pigmy Rattlesnake, but
I'll stick with the former spelling.  It is not the first time I have
invented a new species and it won't be the last. Contrary to popular belief,
my blunder was not due to celebratory libations. Al Capone's hidden bootleg
liquor remains safe for now.

Life is good......... even when plumbers (our snakes make us lots of dinero)
pretend to be naturalists.

Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, Florida
Miami-Dade County
Home of the still undefeated Miami Hurricanes and thanks Florida for
knocking off the Bulldogs.