After an absence during the summer through October I am starting to see small
flocks of Blue-crowned Parakeets in the Eau Gallie area of Melbourne.  Roy Book
reported that he saw a mixed flock of parakeets harrassing a Red-shouldered
Hawk during the summer over on the barrier Island. On the mainland and on my
few trips to the barrier island I saw not a single bird from late June through
October.  The first flock I saw was of eight birds two weeks ago and I have
seen groups of 4 and three birds since then....the later was seen on Monday the
18th of November, 2002 at a feeder on Banyan drive at 2PM...this was a mixed
flock of two Blue-crowned Parakeets and a Mitred Parakeet.  Last winter the
birds formed flocks upto 75 birds estimated by one observer I talked to. The
largest I observed was a flock of 35 birds.  Encouraged and gently chastized by
Susan Epps(What a wonderful woman!) I will start keeping more formal records.
--
Herman Bechtel
2859 Fountainhead Blvd