S.P. McCool said:

>Like Brad and Sarah, I can see both sides of the issue. I think the
>suggestion of trapping and banding the bird (assuming that one could, in
>fact, suceed in attracting one swallow out of dozens) should be a viable
>option.
>
>As for collecting, again, I can see the merit of the idea, but also the
>demerits. Collecting "to confirm the record" doesn't seem to be totally
>necessary anymore.

Birders:

My 2-cents worth. . . . Here's something else to ponder. Recently, in
Ohio where I most recently lived before moving to Florida, the first
state record for Calliope Hummingbird was noted. For positive
identification purposes, the bird was captured and banded but died as a
result of the trauma caused by the banding experience, even though the
banders were well versed in bird banding and had many years of
experience. How would people feel if the same thing happened in the case
of this swallow? Would putting an EXACT label on this bird be worth it if
the bird died from being captured? I for one, think not. Obviously, I am
not in favor of "collecting" it either, no matter how valid
ornithologists or ornithologist wannabes think it is by doing so. I can
live with the ambiguity. leave the bird alone. It got here on its own and
it can leave on its own.

Good birding!

Vincent Lucas
Naples