In a message dated 11/6/02 2:31:40 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Wilson's tern (is that Forster's or Common?)

I just looked in a relatively old (1977) Audubon guide to NA birds to see if
it said anything along the lines of "once called..." etc. No luck on that
wording for Common or Forster's.

BUT, it did say that the Forster's Tern was named in 1772 after Johann
Reinhold Forster (1729-1798), a German pastor-naturalist who accompanied
Captain Cook around the world. So I would wager to say that the Wilson's Tern
was NOT the Forster's Tern.

Sarah Linney
Cocoa, FL