Margie, your post made me curious enough about the Wilson's Tern to consult
an old book given to me this year.  It's a 1936 edition titled BIRDS OF
AMERICA and it has the same information on Common Tern names that you
quoted.

My brother, who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, loves to buy old books.  He never
misses a library book sale.  Knowing that I'm a birder, he purchases bird
books for a ridiculously low price and brings them to me when he comes to
visit.

I wasn't birding in 1936 either, but I'm glad the book survived for 66 years
and is now in my care!

Irene
- - - -
Irene Hernandez