This morning (Friday) Jerry Krummrich, Dan Dorosheff and I took off work to
go birdin' at Alligator Point and St. Marks NWR.

At Alligator Point, near the far end (west) of the KOA campground we saw a
female White-winged Scoter.  When we first saw the bird it was sleeping
fairly far out; after awhile it woke and swam close to shore.  It then took
flight to the east.

Our first stop at St. Marks NWR was at the Picnic Pond, to look for more
scoters.  We didn't see any.   However, in the tall pines, to the left of
the restrooms (as you face them), we saw a Brown Creeper.  The pines in this
recently burned area are relatively large and the palmettos are not too
high.

We continued to the lighthouse to look for a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow.
Within 15 yards of leaving the parking area (before the wooden bench) we
found one.

On the way out of the refuge we stopped where the Tropical Kingbird was seen
last year.  Our plan was to walk north and then east on a levee.  Within 75
yards of leaving our vehicle we saw a Tropical/Couch's Kingbird on the west
side of the road.  This location is on the west side of the highway, at the
south end of East River Pool.  We had parked our vehicle next to a gate with
the number 104 on the right-hand gate post.  We could see the bird when we
got in our vehicle at 4:20 p.m.

All-in-all, a very good day of birdin'.

John W. Ault III
P.O. Box 177